Saturday, August 17, 2013

I Don't Know What I Like Best...

 A misty morning or a sunny morning... maybe a misty morning that turns into a sunny morning.


  I love feeling the distance through fog.


 Gentle drops of moisture that are so small you don't notice them till they accumulate



 I mean aren't these precious little drops of liquid sunshine. Look at that surface tension.
Can you imagine having the ability to create something like this, so delicate and fleeting.
Do you suppose it is instinctual or do mama spiders teach their hundreds of babies how to do it.

 and to think a long time ago, I didn't like Hosta blooms at all.. was I crazy?
I always thought with a plant so big as a Hosta,  with those huge textured leaves spreading outward, what more could you ask for.. it was already beautiful ... well then I saw their tall spiked flowers..so unusual.

We planted this Linden tree 8 yrs ago I believe.

But...  See what I mean... How could anybody not love these?
It makes me feel that the fairies are going to fly in right now and wave their little magic wands, gather up one of those glistening blooms and fly off wearing it as a dress.
 Way back there by the trees is the greenhouse... I just noticed today some plum tomatoes are forming.

 A seagull was here

This is known as the Lone Spruce. It stands about 20 feet from the edge of the driveway.
 John made this big round firepit in the middle of the field not far from the house.  It is about 40 feet across... yes, he laid everyone of those stones in a perfect circle. He seemed to know exactly where each stone fit... 2003, I think was the year

 when it is clear we see the ocean from here... now we can imagine we are the only ones in the world or that we are floating in space.

 It is a perfect place to lie flat on your back at midnight on fine nights and watch the heavens and their goings on.... it's a busy place up there.

...and the trusty guard-dogs that never miss a chance for a walk. They are just happy to be alive.
By the way,  I just thought up a new name for them, "The Three Mouse-getter-ers".

 A crow was here too

Toby is off to check on rabbits


 I love seeing this young tree up close and watching it grow.  It is one of the trees from the picture above that grew here naturally. All we had to do was clear the other plants away to give them more light.. when they come on their own they always do better because it is where they want to be.



Bark from the Lone Spruce... sort of like scales.... see how its textural layers catch all the light and shadows.
That is the United Church on Main St. of St. Martins.  Those old buildings had a lot of style. They don't build structures like that anymore....  wish they did.
Trees distinct lines show up so much better in the fog. And something about rooftops poking out of the fog that is so romantic.  It is like watching nature put on a play.

There is the Lone Spruce
 Still slowly clearing...

another different kind of spider web... I wonder if they meant to catch dewdrops.



 I can't get enough of these Stargazer Lilies... besides being exquisitely beautiful, their scent is out of this world.
 Really, how could something be so beautiful?  and it stays hidden away all year long till this very moment.

 and look at that little Bee.... ready for take-off

 Special seat in the garden


 My darling Hollyhock is well over 8' tall now and if she grows as tall as last year she will reach at least 12'.

Looks like a color riot doesn't it?


Feels very calm, as if everything is whispering.


 Who needs TV when all this is happening

.... sheer entertainment just by looking outside.

The fog has cleared out quite a ways now

Almost...

 Blue sky... it was there all the time.... I love these kind of days.


Pictures taken in the morning of August 14 as I spent time wandering and enjoying Nature up on the bluff.
Desideratum Art and Jewelry, St. Martins, New Brunswick, Canada

***


- A  Retreat in Nature's Paradise -


34 comments:

Terra said...

Your photos and the scenes are so beautiful, I almost can not comment. But I managed to do so; love the spider web with the drops of dew, the church in the mist, the flowers, the rose pink lilies.
I am having a book give away on my blog today of a memoir.

Penny said...

Stunning place, beautiful photos, do love those spider webs. How can you bear to sell such a place.

Cuidado said...

You've outdone yourself with this post, Gwen. I am with you in appreciating the August mornings with the heavy dews. They help water the gardens but first delight us photographers and lovers of the mornings. I don't watch tv either and for the same reason. Your views are stunning. Happy August.

Guillaume said...

Gosh, so difficult to comment sometimes, there is so much to say. I love misty days. I love ALL those pictures, they are so atmospheric and eerie. And you have blueberries to pick, which is great. And the hummingbird reminds me of the ones we had visiting in Chicoutimi.

laura said...

What a gorgeous place--like from a fairy tale. How I'd love to sit in one of the Adirondack chairs and look at the night sky!
Your flowers are quite beautiful too!

Seth said...

Based on these photos, I vote for misty mornings. What an incredible series of shots. I could wander around forever!

Valerianna said...

Beautiful... love seeing your world in the fog. Beautiful garden and pack of dogs loving life :)

My grandparent's house was on a point next to a lighthouse on Cape Cod. We spent summers there. I loved those misty mornings that turned sunny later. Only trouble was that when I dressed for sailing class on a cool, foggy morning, I was always overdressed when we got to the harbor. Totally different weather just a few miles away.

Valerianna said...

PS - Glorious spider web pictures!

And, I think the web making thing must be instinctual as I just carried a HUGE ball of tiny spiders outside. that the spider on a lampshade in the house laid. I took them all outside - mom and babies, but I can't imagine that she could possibly teach HUNDREDS of tiny things to weave the web. My niece who is rather afraid of spiders awoke to the writhing ball of babies. Later that day, my sister discovered a frog on the windowsil that Pasha must have brought in. Life in the forest!!

Steven Cain said...

A beautiful and busy morning!

BumbleVee said...

I want to live there ....with you guys for my neighbours....

what a bunch of beautiful photos you got this day Gwen.... the fog makes it look a whole different place doesn't it?

And, those hollyhocks .... absolutely so perfect next to the lovely window....

Gwen Buchanan said...

Terra, I know what you mean.. there is something about certain days that reach into your soul and there is nothing we can do about it but feel it.

Thanks Penny, Only thing that pushes me along is the promise of something as exciting to challenge ourselves with again. I am not sure what it is yet.
We are just going with the flow.

Cuidado, Thanks, I know you are out and about with your camera at every opportunity and the beauty of your shots show.

Guillaume, hey, probably the same kind, a Ruby-throated hummingbird.
oh yes, the blueberries, One of our dogs, Gabi, the white one that sleeps all the time, wakes up just enough to go out and clean out the blueberry patches.

Thanks Laura, I have become a lazy gardener. I planted perennials years ago and now i just watch as the seasons change the blooms. Seems like magic. Just wait and new flowers. and yes come on up and share a chair in the field. it will be fun!

Seth, It is easy to lose track of time sometimes, and get lost in the moment.

Valerianna, I think you're right about web-building coming naturally to spiders. Amazing how that knowledge is passed along. Cute tho to imagine all those little spiders all lined up with their pencils and notebooks. Life in the forest is great isn't it!! and right, always prepare for every kind of weather on the coast.

Stephen , it was a little dream. I can't believe I took over 300 pictures. remember the old days when you would get a roll of film with 24 or 36 shots. wow those days are gone.

Vee, Move here, right now. You'll keep me laughing all day. I just love hollyhocks... someday i want a whole row of them in different colours.




Valerianna,

Carol Steel said...

These photos are so wonderful, so full of life and you and the love of your home. I'm sorry that you are selling it but happy to know you might still be there making the remaining two acres beautiful.

Priya Sebastian said...

Gasp!
There was a quote that said 'your life is your art'. When I look at these pictures, that's what came to mind.
I'd always felt there were never enough pictures of your home and garden. Now with this post, thank you for the feast you've given us.

Marie Alton said...

Dear Gwen ... I enjoyed that walkabout with you in the mist!
LOVE how you captured so much beauty ... dewy spider webs are such a marvel ... Star Gazers ... I planted four out back when we moved here ... but they were so overwhelming in scent that Paul asked me to move them because they choked him ... allergy thing.
Love those tall yellow puffy flowers... I think MA called them perennial sunflowers? If you feel so inclined ... you could send me some seeds!

Hugs ... Marie

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Carol. Well our place is for sale but hasn't sold yet so for now we will continue loving living here. never know what the future holds... I'm sure it will be exciting and challenging... at least we hope for that.

Priya, I know I go overboard with pictures sometimes but I can't help myself. Wow I remember back when we had the rolls of film and never knew if we got the shot or not, for weeks.. sometimes for years cause people never got their film developed.. such a different world we live in now.

Hi Marie, Your husband must be terribly sensitive. I could never get enough of the scent of those marvelous lilies.. we have a fair amount of air movement here along the coast and flowers scents are dispersed in the nicest way. We have never found them too much.. mostly I just want more.

Faye Henry said...

What a simply beautiful post, Gwen.. God is such a beautiful creator and you guys are such awesome gardeners
..Your home is just glorious and I imagine is must be hard to let go..
Summer is almost over and it is hard to believe..

Tracy said...

Oh, my... so DELICIOUSLY MAGICAL, Gwen...every moment of this! Yup, definitely misty morning that burns off into sunny morning, sunny day. LOVE those colorful chairs. :o) ((HUGS))

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you Girls, We just go with Nature to make our gardens.. whichever plants like our environment stays and flourishes... and the plants that act difficult, fade away.. after that it's easy. Especially love shrubs and perennials.

rachel said...

Quite, quite stunning. I adore foggy days, and to see your beautiful surroundings emerging took my breath away.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you Rachel, we had long stretches of hot summer weather this year so when a foggy day arrives.. it is almost a relief.
I walking through atmosphere. Cheers!

Joanna said...

My goodness, isn't it beautiful in the fog! Love the fire pit and the stone bench. What a gorgeous spot you live in!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you Joanna, I feel the same about the photographs and locations you present. I feel beauty is everywhere...we just have to take the time to see it.

A Heron's View said...

It's good to see that the mists of Manannán visit you too.

Great photos I enjoyed them all, so that you for the pleasure.

Gwen Buchanan said...

You're welcome Mel... Glad you came wandering through... sunshine and fog could happen almost at the same time without notice... whenever they want... makes us realize how small we humans are, on this planet..

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Beautiful!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thank you!!

jerilanders said...

Oh Gwen, That was just overwhelming AND marvelous! The Hosta flowers most certainly would make fairy frocks and the Hollyhock is beyond compare. Your home, garden, stone wall, the fabulous church in the distance and the mist,,,EVERYTHING is a joy to behold! I am so glad to sit here and experience your fantastic piece of paradise, I loved it.

Lynne with an e said...

What a breathtakingly beautiful tour of your enchanted land. Clearly, it makes your soul sing. Nice that you intend to keep a heart-parcel for yourselves, once the new rightful owners take their place.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Jeri, you're sweet. I always wish more people could share it. I sometimes feel guilty that not many people come up on the hill to enjoy it but I feel very lucky to walk around in it and feel nature.

Lynn"E", being surprised everyday is an amazing lucky break... I feel like a kid. I know, you know what I mean.

Ruth said...

Don and I were just telling someone about you and John, about your place. Oh, it was a waitress, telling us the fish we were going to eat was from the Bay of Fundy.

I didn't realize how much I missed you, and this extraordinary place. I feel like it's part of me. And you.

Your photos, your place, your art, your views and artistry, everything you touch, is utterly remarkable. I am so touched. Again.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I have missed you too Ruth!!! and to think we had a connection through a "fish" from the Bay of Fundy. The tide does bring good things in.. You... an amazing Writer, Poet, Photographer with the most examining mind. Thank you for still sharing with the world. My best.

sandy said...

Your photos are delicious!! Makes me want to be a kid again. Believe me, if I had the money and could actually leave my family (which I can't) I would scoop this up in a heartbeat.

I love this post and am bookmarking it so I can come back and admire it some more. Love the stargazers and that spider web, ahhh.

rivergardenstudio said...

Your misty morning is so beautiful Gwen, I love the splashes of color and promise of sunshine in your world. Happy October...
roxanne

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Girls, I love wandering in the nature of the coast.