Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Interpretation of the Portrait, "Francis Bacon" by Lucian Freud





I am intrigued by Lucian Freud's paintings... The way he breaks down the range of color and  value... The way he has no care to make a picture pretty... or no care to make the people happy when they see the portrait he did of them... he just cared about putting down on the canvas what he felt and  wanted to express... An attitude of the Inner self... I like that.

After I finished this interpretive painting of his work, I did some research and discovered that his painting of Francis Bacon was stolen in broad daylight from Berlin's Neue Nationalegalerie in 1988... ... it has never been recovered.

Lucian Freud was the grandson of Sigmund Freud... Francis Bacon was a celebrated artist and a contemporary of Lucian Freud.

 I was interested in creating this painting  because it was a portrait of one national icon by another.



...my version at reproducing this master is 8" x 10" oil on canvas... on the wall in my studio.

No comments: