Sunday, June 02, 2013

Tea Time

Gwen's Teapot

 During the winter, my husband John, my son Max and I, had a drawing get-together every day for 2-3 weeks for about 45 min. each session.  It was a good way to talk about art and inspire each other during those long winter days.  Each day we took turns deciding what the subject would be and what medium we would use.   

On this particular day I chose conte  and we all drew our Silver teapot.  It is an old one that we found at the Sussex Flea Market years ago and has been in use in our kitchen ever since.  I asked the older gentleman, who I bought it from, if it made good tea and he replied that it always did when he used it.  I only asked him that because I have had teapots in the past that really did not make good tea... not sure why... but he was right, it did make good tea.  
 It doesn't shine anymore as most of the silver plating on the outside has worn off  and even though it is tarnished and aged, it makes the best tea... sort of like it was broke-in.  The surface of the body is covered with scrolling decorative patterns but it doesn't show in my drawing as we gave ourselves a set time limit to complete or go as far as we could with each drawing and I never had time for the patterns.

I thought I could easily round up John and Max's drawings to post too but they are out today and i can't find them.  When they find them for me I'll take some photos and post them...............

*
waiting
*

 John's Teapot

 .... and just a bit later... John has found his.  I find John's teapot very painterly... it has life and flow and feels like music to me.
 His writing is very musical too.  Ok he gets an "A".
Whereas, I am  giving myself a "C"  and a note to tell myself to Loosen Up!

*
and a bit later still ......after more searching
*


 Max found two teapots...


... really fun to see all the different interpretations!


 And as a little connection to this, later on when we were back at our workbenches  making our jewelry lines for our new catalog, we updated our "Tea and Coffee" earrings to this steaming pair of Mug and Teacup below. They have had a great response so far...we'll keep our fingers crossed.




"Take some more Tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
"I've had nothing yet,"  Alice replied in an offended tone,
 "so I can't take more."


from Chapter 7,  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland,  by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson,
otherwise known as,   Lewis Carroll, 1832-1898


drawings each approx. 10" x 10"

27 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow...What a wonderful way to spend time.
Love the drawing, the story, the earrings...
xo

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Andrea, we really enjoyed this little routine especially seeing the different aspects each one of us focused on. Thanks xo

Guillaume said...

I love my tea and this drawing looks so real I can smell the tea in it. I love good old mugs and tea pots.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Guillaume, I remember my first cup of tea ever... it was served in a fine bone china teacup, so thin I could see light through it.

Arija said...

Your post was so apt to go with my early morning cup of tea. Tea pots have character and, like a cast iron pan, need 'wearing' in. Indiana always says cloth retains memory, I think tea pots do as well.
What nice 'togetherness it was with the limited time companion drawing. So very refreshing as well.

cathyswatercolors said...

Such a good idea drawing as a family.I am anxious to see the you husband and son's paintins as well.

I was at an antique fair this winter and i wandered upon dealer with a similar eye to mine. I noticed she had some tarnished silver, and i commented on how beautiful it was, she said," i like to call them my tragic silver and i use it all the time.

Steven Cain said...

You guys rock. Seriously.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Well, Good Morning Arija! I was reminding my son about it just a while ago and he said, lets start it back up again! Good plan.

Cathy, Love the dealer's comment. I don't believe in hiding things away. if you love them, use them and have them around you. it just feels lovelier.

Thanks Steven, It was a good time!

Priya Sebastian said...

Gwen, what a delightful way to spend winter days with family. I know for a fact that I am happiest when I am out drawing with my friends. Nothing else equals anything better.
I saw Max's work sometime ago through a link on your blog. He draws very well. It is the best thing to be surrounded by those who create and when it is family, even better :)

ArtPropelled said...

Both drawings are wonderful, Gwen. Such a great idea! I hope you share more pieces from this exercise. I especially like seeing the different view points of each artist.

Shelley said...

Oh yes, the lovely tea and company over this lovely tea pot has been much enjoyed over the last 5 years. Looking forward to many more

dixiebelle said...

Great use of family time! My God daughter and I draw together sometimes. It's very therapeutic to be able to do this. Love the tea pot and the story behind it too!

Seth said...

I love the idea of family art time. The way you describe it, it is almost like a family art salon. So interesting to see two artists' take on the same object. Both quite beautiful!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

I'm going to try to get the family when they gather later this year to draw 'Mummy's Teapot' (my grandmother's), it makes wonderful tea and teatime is very special to all the family. Great drawings and story Gwen.

Carol Steel said...

Both pieces of art are wonderful, each in their own way. I think spending family time in shared creative work is great, and will be a source of good memories too.

laura said...

What a nice idea to spend time together drawing ... and the results aren't bad either! Very charming.
As you know, I love your earrings: these are lovely!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Priya, I liked that we were all drawing in the same location, as most of the time we are each off in our own solitary spots.

Robyn. yes I'd like to put a few more of our drawing gettogethers on.. hope they don't get boring.

Shelley, ah, you remember this teapot. well summer is coming, if it ever stops raining....and tea is on..

Dixiebelle, That sounds lovely and you're right, it is relaxing and I enjoy watching the concentration on each others faces.

Thank you Seth, Art is probably our most enjoyed family activity.

Maya, That would be a perfectly fun project. especially since it has such a connection to several generations...quite the keepsakes and memory too.

Thank you Carol, we also did critiques of each others work and tried to take the criticism positively...(most of the time)

Thanks Laura, we actually looked forward to see what each would think up for us all to do. Fun.

Faye Henry said...

Loved this post, Gwen.. You are all so talented and spending this time together as family is precious..
See you soon..

Cuidado said...

I like your drawing very much, Gwen. You pay attention to detail and there is nothing negative there if it is compared to looseness. Such a good idea to have your winter drawing challenges. Good for all and to pass the time between filling the fires and shoveling (grin).

Spring is beautiful. It has been terrific gardening weather. Hope you're enjoying yours.

Lynne with an e said...

I love the distinct personality of each rendering. Gwen Pot is well-mannered, John Pot has an attitude, and Max Pot has a decided quirkiness. All delightful!

jerilanders said...

Love the silver steam rising from the teacups. Having a talented family makes for wonderful get together s! I am usually alone in my studio, with no one of artistic temperament in my family. Except,sometimes, when my daughter in law visits from NY, we spend the entire time doing papercuttings. (I have to say that I like your teapot the best)

Sara O'Leary said...

Beautiful! Nice to see the different perspectives.

Tracy said...

Firstly, WONDERFUL teapot portraits! And I really love this idea of using winter for sketching practice. Hubby & I may have to borrow that idea next cold season. I like your use of the red crayon...such a refreshing difference from the black charcoal. Sweet cup earrings--VERY fun. :o) Happy Days, Gwen ((HUGS))

Cuidado said...

Check out this 'photograph' by a Moncton photographer I've known for years over the net.
ambientlightimages.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/another-timelapse/

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Faye, we don't do near enough things together so I'm glad these get togethers happened.

Lynne, you got that right, John Pot always has an attitude, but don't tell him I said so.

jeri,Your papercuttings are gorgeous, your daughter in law is lucky!

haha Thanks Sara, i guess you know us, our perspectives are always a wee bit skewed.
Thanks Tracy, it's great to share inspiration.. i like how it evolves into so many other things.

Cuidado, thanks for the link to the timelapse. Good shot! Your friend is a talented photographer.

BumbleVee said...

I have a vintage silver pot much like this Gwen.... I've never made tea in it.... wonder what mine would taste like?

Gwen Buchanan said...

BumbleVee, you will have to give it a go.... you don't know what you may be missing. good luck though.