Sunday, April 13, 2008

Watercolor Mittens


Norwegian mittens in watercolor and india ink... Even though the classic colors of this design is high contrast such as black and white, I chose not to go that dark for this little sketch...

It is pretty simple... I didn't go for extreme detail of any kind, just tried to loosely describe them...



At least it didn't take as long as knitting them... but paper's not as warm...


The real ones that were the inspiration...


approx. 3½" x 5" watercolor, ink, brush, pen on CP Arches WC paper

9 comments:

sandy said...

Gwen, this is beautiful! One of these days I want to try India Ink, but I'm afraid of failure, haha.

Great job.

sandy

Anonymous said...

I love this! I wondered how it would look when you said you may paint them. Totally gorgeous :)

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Asti, that's sweet of you to say.

Sandy, that's exactly how I feel before starting everything... this big anxiety lump wells up inside and then I tell myself, "what have I got to lose..."

Ruth said...

This is a sweet treatment, different and lighter. A worthy subject.

Hate to say it, but I'm glad to hear you get anxiety before a project. But the difference between you and me is that your efforts result in success, lovely success.

Anet said...

Great subject to paint. It's like art, of your art! Really cool!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh not always Ruth... you should see the attempts I hide... on second thought... oh no you shouldn't!!!

Hey thanks Anet... interesting observation... never thought of it that way...Fun! good luck with the planting..

Sharon said...

I love the detail shot!!!! What great line and energy. It's beautiful.

Don said...

OK, now I think you should build a cedar strip canoe to paddle around the Bay. (While wearing your mittens) I really enjoy seeing your differnt skills!

Gina said...

Oh this is fabulous! LOVE it! :O)