Thursday, March 27, 2008

Banana #1


A little loose watercolor sketch... using 2 brushes... my tiny size 2 script and a size 12 watercolor... lightly drew a banana then slightly soaked the whole sheet with my brush using clear water...

...while it was still wet and using the large brush.... I puddled various shades into the banana shape and let them flow... to merge light, shadow and mid-tone... but still trying to keep some colors distinct...

when it was dry, I used some of the same colors with the script brush.... I held it lightly at the tip of the handle and gently flicked it back and forth in the general shape of the banana... the bristles of the brush just barely touching the paper... not trying to follow any particular lines at all... a simple lively exercise to play around with, to loosen up ...


approx. 4" x 6" on the back of a light WC weight card

6 comments:

sandy said...

Love the looseness of this and the rich colors!

sandy

J said...

Very nice use of color...

rivergardenstudio said...

This is a beautiful watercolor sketch, is your green Sap green? I want to thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, I too, loved your jewelry on Seth's post. Your work is spectacular! I have made a link to your site on River Garden Studio! Roxanne

Gwen Buchanan said...

you know your colors, Roxanne...it is sap green!... yes, I'm enjoying the work on Seth's "the altered page"... fun!

Thanks Sandy, Roxanne & J for the lovely critics...

Ruth said...

I'm jumping on here after reading your comments at Don's green barn blog. I'm so glad I came, it's a privilege to see your work, read how you did it, and also see the home you built. That cathedral window is awesome! So cool that you recycled windows and things. You seem to have a very nice, rich life.

Chris Ousley said...

Spunky! I like. John down the page looks like he eats his Wheaties.